1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokevision is shutdown.

Discussion in 'General' started by Jim, Jul 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim New Member

Team:
    Instinct
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
    J'mihra Nunh likes this.
  2. J'mihra Nunh

J'mihra Nunh Miqo'te Admin-Cat Staff Member

Team:
    Mystic
    Big pity right there but its expected. Its meant to hunt pokemon. They were never certainties.

3. AlwaysAFK

AlwaysAFK New Member

Team:
    Valor
    That's a shame, but I like the aspect of heading out of the house and not knowing what I'm going to run into! Pokevision kind of took some of the fun out of it for me.

J'mihra Nunh likes this.
  4. J'mihra Nunh

Team:
    Mystic
    That was the opinion of niantic too. I personally dont know people who used these maps.

5. AlwaysAFK

AlwaysAFK New Member

Team:
    Valor
    I looked at it when I first heard about it and made the decision not to use it. :)

J'mihra Nunh likes this.
  6. J'mihra Nunh

Team:
    Mystic
    Good call. And same here. The element of surprise in these kinda games make it more exciting ;3

7. OAK

OAK New Member

Team:
    Instinct
    This is better for the game this way. It's meant to be a wander-around-and-maybe-get-lucky game, not a go-straight-to-where-the-best-Pokémon-are-located game.

J'mihra Nunh likes this.
  8. Dannik Jerikko

Dannik Jerikko Member

Team:
    Mystic
    A little disappointed that it existed in the first place, but I can't say that I didn't use it once when the tracking system was totally jacked up. People relying on it as a crutch rather than a tool kind of ruin stuff.

9. J'mihra Nunh

Team:
    Mystic
    I think people generally understand the ways of Niantic in this. It was fun while it lasted. Now back to the real thing

10. TRTRoy

TRTRoy Member

Team:
    Valor
    But even in the regular games they had a form of tracking. They took away the footsteps in the game and made it hard if not impossible now to hunt Pokemon and we have no outside source to help either. They better be working on a fix for this, I've already seen people quit the game because of this.

Dannik Jerikko likes this.
  11. EllBringa

EllBringa New Member

Better than keeping the all-3-paw broken tracking imo.

12. supereece

supereece New Member

Team:
    Mystic
    I personally feel this was a terrible move by Niantic, especially when their own tracking system is just straight up broken. I've never seen Pokevision as a detriment to the game, in fact i've seen it as an awesome boon, i've seen people straight up bolt for a dragonite that was several blocks away that they never would have seen on the in-game radar, and in fact some of my best poke-adventures have started BECAUSE pokevision helped me out (a scyther coincidentally seen in the park near my house turned into a 3 hour catching spree, hooking up with other trainer parties along the way, it was a blast) of course the element of surprise is an awesome feeling, but that only ever happens maybe 10% of the time? the rest is "pidgey, pidgey, ratatta, pidgey, weedle, pidgey..." woohooo... pokevision gave some real motivation to go to different parts of the city for me, places i'd never go if i just stuck to the usual route i take for hatching my eggs.

It also doesn't help how Niantic's in-game tracker is the worst of garbage, it can never decide how far a pokemon is. I've had multiple occasions using the in-game tracker where the pokemon would just jump randomly in the vicinity position even when i'm just standing still (it'll appear as the nearest, then the 3rd nearest, then the farthest, then the 4th nearest, all while i'm completely stationary) and a good number of times the pokemon that's supposed to be "closest" to you isn't (i've had multiple instances where a pokemon that's 4th or 5th place according to my tracker pop up on my screen for capture, yet 1st is nowhere to be seen at all). If Niantic was able to fix their in game tracker then i could totally forgive this move, but as it stands it's a complete detriment to the overall gameplay experiences, or at least for me it is.

it also doesn't help that i recently had surgery so walking has become a painful experience, with pokevision i didn't have to wander around aimlessly so it really helped minimize the amount of time i had to be in pain (and before you say anything about how i shouldn't be walking around then, the doctor said that walking around would be beneficial to get blood flowing through the area).

nib, TRTRoy and Dannik Jerikko like this.
  13. Gudhix

Gudhix New Member

Team:
    Valor
    the game is meant for you to walk around aimlessly. if you can't do this don't play it. just a recommendation cuz you're in pain. also, if the element of surprise would happen more than 10% of the time it wouldn't be called a "surprise".

personally i liked the paw tracking system when it worked and i hope they can make it work again. i think with this new patch the pokemon grid positioning works which is good enough for me atm.

14. nib

nib New Member

Team:
    Instinct
    How you figure Niantic intended for people to walk around aimlessly? They attempted to add a smaller scale tracking feature themselves, and the vast majority of catches come from luring/incensing stops.

Why begrudge @supereece for still wanting to play, albeit judiciously? I'm healing up myself and use maps from time to time. Rarest for me was a Nidorino, lol. All the mons we're losing out on, it comes out in the wash. Ultimately, we're catching mons at our earned level anyway, and gyms at the natural progression are cake walks to overtake. The level 35+ botters dropping 3k Snorlaxes and Lapras in 10x gyms are a problem.

Realistically, I don't see one here aside from some perceived moral high ground. In which case, you better close your ears if someone yells "Charmander!" because that's hardly wandering around aimlessly.

15. Dannik Jerikko

Dannik Jerikko Member

Team:
    Mystic
    @Loke - still waiting for that "superlike" button.

Seriously though, I agree what you're saying. If Niantic wanted us to wander about to catch Pokemon, they'd put a goddamn Squirtle in the retention pond in the cemetery by my house. In all of my "wanderings," I've caught pidgeys and rattatas. Almost all of the good stuff I've gotten has come from going to lures in the center of my town (to which I've had to drive) and then just sit and wait and catch. Not much wandering involved. They should have put pokemon spawns in the woods and in rural areas if they wanted us to wander about. Instead, they put the most spawns in the more populated areas (makes some sense, except for I don't recall ever finding a wild pokemon in Cerulean City on my GameBoy Color). I shouldn't catch more Pokemon from my desk at work than I do going for a walk with my wife or on a bike ride through the woods.

16. AlwaysAFK

AlwaysAFK New Member

Team:
    Valor
    I find it impossible to disagree with this sentiment, but that may be because I live in one of those rural areas where you think Pokemon should be instead of in the city. :)

17. Gudhix

Gudhix New Member

Team:
    Valor
    really? i've caught a tangela, machamp, jinx, arcanine and many rare ones by just wandering. i actually dont like using lures or incenses, i always get crap from those. and also the incenses work best if you're moving around. i think having the eggs mechanic and the grid tracking (not the step one) is a clear clue that you should be walking around to find pokemon.
    from my experience, this game is designed for us to wander around to find pokemon. and the mini tracking you mentioned is pretty close range (~90m tested). you should move farther than that if you want to see diversity of pokemon.

and for all rural area people, take advantage when you're wandering in the city. is a sad truth that rural areas lack pokemon spawning

18. AlwaysAFK

AlwaysAFK New Member

Team:
    Valor
    Believe me, i do! My soon is at karate class right now, and umm sitting here between three lured PStopsb spinning and catching everything i can!

19. nib

nib New Member

Team:
    Instinct
    You've got awesome luck, amigo. Glad your way of playing is working out for you. Throw some luck my way, the lured stops are boring and still can't more than a cold on walkabout.

20. Gudhix

Gudhix New Member

Team:
    Valor
    yeah luck is part of it but definitely moving much more and wander about increases the possibilities of spawning good/new pokemon... it's just a fact.